Friday, May 6, 2011

Homemade Body Scrub {Happy Momma's Day}

Never know what to get the Momma that has EVERYTHING...
How about something hand made and from the heart.

Well after looking up some different recipes online, I went to the store to shop for the items I need.

Pure Cane Sugar: $1.00 - Dollar Store
Epsom Salt, scented Lavender (can see my husband couldn't wait to open it to smell it): $3.99 - Walmart
Jar: $2.99 - Walmart
Spoons (set of 4): $0.93
EVOO - Household Item
Food Coloring- Household Item

I did spend a little much at first but I have a TON of salt and sugar left over and would just need to buy a new jar.

I started out by putting 3/4 cup of Pure Cane Sugar and 3/4 cup of Epsom Salt and 1/4 cup of EVOO.
The consistency was great!


I wanted to turn it purple to match her bathroom. All I had was Gel food coloring,
which I thought would work just the same.

I added a drop of red and a drop of blue into the scrub.

This is what it looked like:

 As you can see it turned it a weird green and then I just ended up with blue and red speckles all over.
Not what I had planned. So, I tried putting the blue and red food coloring in water to get the right color.


It was the color I wanted and then poured it into the scrub.

Bad Idea!

It just got more runny and didn't really change the color at all or take away the speckles.
I had to add more Sugar and more Salt to get it back to the right consistency. I just did equal parts.

Again, you live and you learn. Trial and error works great.

This was the final product with a ribbon and spoon.


You can see it was a little green but I put it with a green Loofah and a green eye mask.

Happy Momma's Day!
Hope you enjoy.

Photobucket

Linked up with:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. I read every one of them and really do cherish what people have to say. It is the highlight of my day. Feel free to ask me questions and I will try and respond in a timely manner. Thanks for visiting and for leaving a comment.